Thursday, January 1, 2015

Let it go, let it go

For years I've heard the expression, "The best is yet to come!" More often than not, this is heard at the first of the year. But what if you know, deep down inside, the best has come and gone? For those of us who have lost very close family members, we know that it will never be that good again. We know it to the core of our being. Especially, if you are like me, and had the best wife in the world and you had to tell her goodbye. Especially if you had to tell the best child who ever lived the same thing just a few years earlier. 

My best is behind me. What is left are incredible memories that sometimes break through the crust of grief and sprout a beautiful picture of what life was once like. Like pictures from a favorite vacation, they can be revisited in your mind but they will never be revisited the same way again. But they can be revisited. 

Life will never be the same. We have lost the love of our life and cannot imagine life ever being as good as it was. But we can make new memories. And they can be good memories. And, like a good meal, you can have your favorite dish at different places. As soon as we tell ourselves that it will never be good again we limit ourselves. We shut the door on new experiences, new people, new memories. 

If the best is truly yet to come how amazing it will be. If we feel we already have had the best and God has something more for us, are we truly bold enough to tell God that it can't be good again. That it, unbelievably, can't be better. 
It would be difficult (dare I say, impossible) to believe that God could ever give me anyone better than my daughter or my wife. It is totally beyond comprehension for me. But, far be it from me to limit a limitless God.
 
The best is yet to come? Alright God, go prove it!

No comments: