Saturday, March 21, 2009

Driving Miss Dixie

Recent road construction outside my store has given me the opportunity to witness first-hand something I once thought was an anomaly. What I have witnessed is that there are some insane drivers on the road. And believe me, I do not mean that in the best sense of the word. I am going to give these drivers the benefit of the doubt and give them some pointers that might make them (as well as others) live past 8:00 in the morning.
Let’s begin with checking with your vehicle’s owner’s manual about added options that your vehicle may have. I am sure that somewhere on those pages you will find what is called the turn signal or turn indicator. Usually this is a lever to the left of your steering wheel (you know, that thing you call a book rest). I am surprised by how many newer automobiles evidently have left off this option.
Next you might wish to look at the Mississippi Driver’s License Instruction Manual. There should be a chapter there on what a turn lane was designed to do. I am almost positive that it was not designed to allow you to pass other motorists who must be going only the speed limit. When you pass me on the right I pray that the car in front of you in this lane doesn’t suddenly need to turn, or that no one pulls out into the turn lane from one of the businesses it was intended to service
The next rant I want to go on is what station my radio is tuned to. I know that my music must not be as loud as yours but must you really ride so close to my bumper that you can change the station on MY radio? When I can read your rear license plate and you are behind me, you are probably too close.
In case you were unaware, emergency vehicles have the right of way. They should pass you on the left and you should make every attempt to safely pull off to the right to allow them to do so. If this means you have to miss a traffic light, then so be it. Is your being on time to be the first to rent the latest video so important that you would hinder an ambulance from getting to the victim of an auto accident caused by one of the aforementioned drivers?
I also want to let the parents know that, although our parents did it to us and we came out okay, it is not a good idea to let your toddler ride in the front seat with you… standing up… with your arm as his seatbelt.
With newly licensed drivers on the road daily, I spend much of my time in my truck praying for their safety. We need to set a better example. Please. I can’t stand the thought of losing one of these precious ones just so you can get your coffee before work.

No comments: