Monday, October 13, 2014

Recalculating

As I write this I am sitting in an airplane some 20,000+ feet above the earth. My flight has been delayed due to bad weather where I am supposed to land to make my connecting flight home. The flight path has changed several times to escape the bad weather delaying my landing. 

My last day in Boise was spent with a wonderful family rekindling a friendship with the mom and meeting the dad and their two boys. Due to my schedule I spent an extra day in beautiful Boise. Thanks to this family I didn't spend it in the throes of loneliness. They shared their Sunday afternoon with me. Yes, some of it was spent in tears, but most of it was spent in laughter and when we departed company (after they prayed over me) I had gained new friends. And two more "nephews."

I almost didn't make contact with my friend. Going through the storms in my life means that rain will fall on me and those around me. And I hate bringing others into the storm with me. But this visit was good for us all, I think. The boys had a good time playing in the park amongst the golden leaves of Fall. Leaves that found themselves in my clothing for hours throughout that day. 

Sometimes storms block us from our destination. Like the storms surrounding Houston this afternoon, storms of life may delay us from where we are meant to be. But, like the airline, we can always find a way to get to our end goal. We just may have to look at a different approach. We must always trust that we will get there regardless of the storms. And sometimes others will help us find our way around the storms. They may even gladly go through them hand in hand with us. When they do, let them. As difficult as it may be, don't deprive them of the blessing they may get by being there for you. 

That's a lesson I'm trying desperately to learn. 

No comments: