Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Wearing grief like a second skin

An upcoming trip had me packing to leave. Getting away is not as good as some may think. Grief troubles follow you and the house never looks more vacant than when you return. However, the packing itself can be a challenge. First of all, I've forgotten something. I know I have. I just won't realize it until I get to my destination. And it will be something important. The missus always double checked for me. And I would always get annoyed that she checked. And even more annoyed that she would find that I hadn't packed a belt, or shoes, or socks. Not having my love here to check on me makes packing that much more difficult. 

She also always made sure things were in their place and the house was locked up tight. We couldn't leave until the towels were washed and dried. If we left the dryer running then we always had to check the exhaust hose on the outside of the house to make sure it wasn't blocked so we didn't come home to ashes. So, in my effort to make sure everything is okay I decided to do something she never did. I've asked someone to house sit for me while I'm gone. I've given her the alarm code and the .357 so the house should be secure!

To keep from being late I also decided to wash all the clothes tonight. And I do mean all the clothes. I'm now going to ask you, dear reader, to do two things. Ask the children to leave the room while you read the next part and try your best to envision someone else you would rather see when you let your imagination go wild. Maybe Brad Pitt. 

There are some activities that you should not do without being fully clothed. For example, anything domestic. Dinner tonight was a can of pineapple slices eaten while standing up at the bar. There are some places you shouldn't place your naked butt, even if you're Brad Pitt. The kitchen barstool is one of those places. In fact, don't place your naked butt anywhere that isn't made of porcelain and you're pretty safe. 

Also, washing clothes is an okay task, as is drying them. However, folding clothes fresh from the dryer should be done cautiously. Especially clothes that have metal snaps, buttons, clasps, or zippers. It is amazing to me how quickly hot metal can brand you. On a good note, I have a very nice Levi logo branded into my skin. On a better note, you will never see the brand!

Sometimes grief can overwhelm you, but sometimes you need a good laugh. Laughter is the best medicine. I hope this break from grief brought you some smiles. And, ladies, if you pictured Brad Pitt being domestic around your house wearing only his wrinkle free suit (who are we kidding, he has wrinkles), shame on you. And men, if your women are picturing Brad Pitt doing laundry while not wearing any and it got them all hot and bothered... You're welcome. 

No comments: