Friday, October 3, 2014

Empty chair doesn't equal empty life... Does it?

Peace and quiet. We've all wished for it at one time or another. A moments break from the children. For our spouse to just leave us alone for a few minutes without expecting something from us. A break from work. A break from all expectations. Well I have something to tell you. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. 

When my child was on this earth she must have know her time was short because she tried to get 70+ years of talking into 15 years of life. She began speaking at 6 months and never stopped. So, to say I occasionally wished for peace and, especially, quiet,would be an understatement. Don't get me wrong, I treasured every moment with her. I soaked it up. But I did want a brief break every now and then. And don't give me that look, because you've probably been there too.

I enjoyed the time I had with my wife as well, but I can remember lying in bed as she talked to me about something. These conversations often occurred around midnight each night. But I also remember wishing for a break. Wishing she would let me get some sleep. And the later it got and the longer the conversation got, the louder her voice seemed to get. But then again I could've been imagining things. 

Now I look across the dinner table at no one. No one is there to snuggle on the couch or ride beside me in the truck. The chair is empty and I want more than ever for it to be filled. But I want it filled with the right stuff and/or people. So, for now, I'll just sit with my empty chair and wait on God to let me know what to fill it with. 

No comments: