Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Wave goodbye

Sometimes I am Moses. Staff raised as the waves build and hold in a tremendous wall of water. I look in wonder and think how close I am to imminent danger. The only thing between me and drowning in the depths is faith. Faith that these aqueous walls will not collapse upon me. I marvel at how I can see the power of the wave only inches away and how that power can overcome me with merely a thought. I thank God for holding back those things that want to overwhelm me. Without Him I would not be a perpetual overcomer. 

Some times I'm an Egyptian soldier. Standing on what I thought was dry ground. Looking at the murky depths that are now murky heights. Walls of water rivaling the heights of the pyramids. I see the people I am pursuing in front of me, safely on shore. I long to be where they are. I laugh at the children playing on the shoreline with their newly found perfectly shaped sea shells while their parents try desperately to hurry them along. I imagine that more than one of them has had to answer whether they are "there" yet. Meanwhile I stand between two columns of death. I take another step toward my goal of reaching the other side only to be buried beneath the waves as they come crashing in. Did they crash in to smother me because of a lack of my faith? Because of a lack of faith of those around me? Am I suffering in the depths because of something I did? Why is it that God has chosen NOW as a perfect time to release the waves?

I wish I had the answer to those questions. I can only give thanks to the Lord for holding the waves back as long as He did. My faith wasn't strong enough to hold back the waves. But is is strong enough to recognize that the very hands that held back the waves can reach down and save this worthless human being again. His hands can help me overcome. Again. 

And that is how you become a Perpetual Overcomer. 


1 comment:

A beautiful, simple life said...

I absolutely love this! I need to read this post often.