Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Uncovered Boss

On Feb. 7, 2010, much of the country celebrated with us as we cheered the Saints on to a Super Bowl victory. However, if you happened to be one of the millions who stayed tuned to CBS after the Super Bowl, you began another emotional journey that continues each week.

Undercover Boss has quickly become one of my favorite television shows. Each episode puts an executive officer of a Fortune 500 company on the front lines. This means that the suit is exchanged for a uniform and the grunt work begins. At the end of the program the executive reveals himself to the people he worked with for a day.

After a year of watching I have wondered two things. First, are there not any Fortune 500 companies that have a female boss? And second, are the CEOs that work at these companies really that out of touch? The first question is an article for another time. I want to concentrate on the second question.

As a small business owner I am in a unique position. There is not a job in my store that I have not done before or will not do again. I will admit that many of the things I do at my office are done better by the others I work with. But I can scrub a toilet with the best of them.

When I see these corporate decision-makers struggle to clean a room, fold a shirt, or face a customer, I wonder how they became so disconnected. Is it any wonder, according to the show's intro, that the average consumer has become disenchanted with the executives and the companies they represent?

Small business owners are often forced to spend time away from our customers to deal with the mundane paperwork and other necessities to make certain our business survives. But, at almost any given moment we can be called out to greet our regulars. We also get to witness the daily interaction of our staff with the customer. As a result, small business owners can truly count many of our customers as friends. That is not as easy for an officer in a multi-million dollar company.

Good customer service is not limited to small businesses. I've experienced it at the larger companies as well. Which is why I return to those stores regularly. I would, however, like to encourage you to support the local entrepreneur - even if it means you are going to my local competitor. Local business keeps most of your money here. Local business owners need to especially support their brethren.

Now, if I could get only one of my customer/friends to help me scrub my toilet.

No comments: