Thursday, November 6, 2014

I need a new drug

Hi. My name is Kevin and I'm a wifeaholic. It's been143 days since I last touched my wife. The last time I smelled the scent of her. The last time I tasted the wine of her lips. The last time I felt her fingers entwined with mine. The last time I felt the soft skin of her arms around me. The cravings are still there. I go to sleep thinking about her. I wake up thinking about her. I still have a lot of the paraphernalia associated with her all around but I'm not ready to get rid of it. My friends have tried several interventions but nothing seems to work. I'm hooked. I miss the way she made me feel. When I had her I was a better person. My eyes shined brighter. I walked around with a goofy smile on my face. 
My addiction began over 26 years ago. I have lived with her longer than I haven't. People would see me and automatically think of her. We were seen together all the time. There were times in my life that I would feel down but then even the smallest of doses would pick me up. I've never been higher than when I had her in my life. 
Since I've been without her I have had the shakes. Going through withdrawal is no laughing matter. And I mean that with much respect to others who have had to kick bad habits. I don't say all of this to make light of what you have gone through and I must say I am proud of what you have done. Kicking a habit that is good for you can also have disastrous results as well. Ask anyone who has given up eating healthy and they will agree. My health deteriorates. I don't eat well. I don't sleep well. I certainly don't think well. 
Perhaps things would have been different if I had gradually cut the wife out of my life. But, no, I had to go and quit cold turkey. One day I am a happy wifeaholic and the next day I am miserable as I try to recover. And I have found no substitutes. There is no vapor replacement. No near beer. And this addiction will last the rest of my life. I will never get over this. Even as I move on with my life I will always be addicted to my wife. I will learn to live without her in my life. I'm learning every day. But there will be flashbacks. 

1 comment:

MagnoliaMama said...

You are truly "in recovery." As the saying goes, "one day at a time."

I pray that God gives you the serenity to accept the things you cannot change, the courage to change the things you can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

From what I read, He is and you are. Keep working the program the best way you can.