Monday, November 10, 2014

Strolling on the water

Sometimes what the Lord shows us was there all along, we just have to be in the right frame of mind to receive it. Recently I read a story in the scripture that I know I've read at least a thousand times. One of those stores that you see running like a movie in your head. And, regardless of how many times I've read it, something stood out to me this time. 

Matthew 14:22-33 tells the story of Jesus walking on the water. In this particular gospel the story goes on to tell us that Peter went out to Jesus himself but was scared and sank. In my mind I picture a lake similar to one nearby. So what I see is a calm lake and Jesus walking across it as if it were ice. But that's not what the scripture says. The scriptures, in each gospel account of this story, say that a wind had come out and the waves had buffeted the boat and pushed it miles from the shore. 

So here are a few things that leap out at me from this story. First, Jesus was walking through the waves to reach us. He didn't calm the waves to get there. He didn't make the wind die down for his journey. I don't know why it seems like more of a miracle that he walked on the waves versus a calm surface, but it does. I believe that this tells me that sometimes God will travel through our troubles to reach us. 

The next thing I noticed is that Jesus did not calm the waves so Peter could come out to walk with him. No, Peter had to take a step of faith and join Jesus in the midst of the waves. Peter could see all of the trouble around but he still had to step out in faith to reach God. I believe God says that sometimes we have to have the faith to walk through the pain and trouble to reach our goal. 

Yet another thing I noticed was that Jesus did not tell Peter to turn around and climb back in the boat because he was in trouble. Instead, he took Peter by the hand and walked with him- not behind him at a distance nor ahead. I imagine it to be like when we teach a child to ride a bike. We run alongside them holding on to the back of the seat until we can let them go. And the child looks back on occasion to make sure mom or dad are hanging on and not letting go. And we don't let go expecting the child to fail. We are praying they will succeed. 

The last thing I noticed is what Jesus did when he finally arrived back at the boat with Peter. A very cold and wet Peter climbs into the boat and Jesus climbs in there with him. In the midst of a blowing wind, Jesus takes us to our resting place and then he calms the wind around us. 

In my journey I have felt the storms and I have felt the peace. I know that Jesus walks beside me. He encourages me and brings me to a point where He will look at the storm and speak peace into my life for the next portion of my journey. Won't you climb on board with me?



No comments: