Thursday, July 30, 2015

Maintaining focus in a busy world

I walked along the shore line watching the emerald green waters merge with the soft white sand. Dancing above the water's surface the local birds darted and dashed between the waves in search of their next appetizer. Fluffy white clouds drifted in the sky sparking the imagination as the winds mold this gathering of condensation into shapes of hippos, Angels, or Snoopy. The powerful sunbeam punches holes in the imagination as it burns earthward. The smell of salt fills the air and a careful eye can spot the dolphin in the distance riding the wakes of passing vessels. 

Along the beach I watch people of various shapes and sizes fighting the battle of the bulge by pounding the sand step after step. Earbuds hang from their ears attached like umbilical cords to their musical devices. Caps pulled tight on their heads just above the sunglasses perched on their collective noses. UV rays burn through the sweat slowly roasting the unaware. Head down they strive to reach their goal. 

I walked along the mountainside watching the mountains work to reach out to their maker. A ceiling of lush green is my shelter from the bright sun. The ground crunches under my feet as I trod over a decaying carpet of leaves and twigs. Wildlife scurries among the low lying branches and out of harms way. A recent rain stirs a musty but pleasant aroma from the forest floor. The river that splits the mountains struggles to hold on to the water as steam rises in attempt to return the moisture to the sky. 

Along the highways busy motorists zoom from one location to the next, windows closed to the silence of nature. Radios blaring the latest tunes while status updates and pictures are posted by adolescents unaware of the amazing beauty that is flying past their windows at 70mph. 

As I study these environments I become aware of how blessed we are and how, due to those blessings, we become blind to our blessings. We have become numb to anything but that which causes us either immense joy or intense pain. We take our blessings for granted until we lose sight of them. 

What blessings have you forgotten to recognize as blessings? Your health? Your family? Your job? Your friends?

I have been blessed beyond measure in my life. I have not been crushed. I have not been abandoned. I have not been destroyed. Although at times I feel that way. And, I will admit a momentarily will lose sight of those blessings. I was blessed with a wonderful wife. She in turn blessed me with a beautiful daughter. I love the work that I do and I'm thankful for the jobs that I once had,but no longer do, that helped mold me for the work I do. 

Take a moment today and look beyond the noise. Stop running. Roll down the windows and let blessings wash over you. Take your focus off of what you don't have and the injustices of this world and focus on the blessings you do have. 

More importantly, focus on the One who gave those blessings to you. 

No comments: