Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Somebody needs a nap

If you have read through the Holy Bible at anytime in your life you have probably read the Easter story. Not just the crucifixion but also the moments that led up to it. Let's go back a little bit and recall with me the events that took place as Jesus prayed at the Mount of Olives. Luke 22:39 tells us that Christ went to his usual place to pray. In verse 40 he told the disciples to pray that they not fall into temptation. He left the disciples and prayed. When he returned he found the disciples asleep. But why were they asleep? I'll get back to that in a moment. 

"Someone needs a nap." Each of us that has spent any time at all with children has probably uttered these words. We say it when a child gets cranky, unruly, or sometimes downright mean. And, usually, once the child quits fighting it and falls asleep they wake up in a better mood. Usually. 

I believe that when we get tired we all tend to pull the emotions from deep inside and place them on our sleeves. We say things without thinking or regard to who it might hurt. We figure, if I'm hurt then I might as well take some others down with me. We also find ourselves hurt much more easily when we are tired. We no longer have the strength to fight away the temptation to lash out at someone's insensitivity. 

This holds true for me on times when I have been fighting a cold or some other such malady. I get tired and cranky and then the emotions bubble out of me. The little things that piled up just come crashing down on me in a big heap. I have learned that it is best if I find myself alone when I am exhausted. But what I once never understood was why I got so tired so easily. That was until I read the scripture. And I encourage you to read from Luke 22:39- 46. When you read that tell me why He found the disciples asleep. Was it because they knew Christ was long winded when praying? Was it because they had put in such a long day getting ready for the Last Supper? No. The scripture tells us why they were asleep. And, regardless of the times I read it over the years, it never struck home until this last grief event. 

This week I found myself coming home one evening after having dinner with some of my in-laws after work. I did enjoy my time with them but this cold I am fighting and grief have just worn me out. For this reason I found myself in an emotional edge. So, while preparing for an upcoming Financial Peace University I watched a couple of the FPU videos and suddenly found myself a sobbing mess. I watched the joy of individuals and families as they screamed that they were debt free. I wanted to scream along with them but I couldn't. Why? Not because I'm not debt free, because I am. I couldn't scream because I didn't get there on my own. As a matter of fact I probably wouldn't be there at all if it were not for my wife. And therein lies the rub. Reaching a goal as monumental as debt freedom doesn't carry the joy it would have if I could have screamed it with the woman who got us there. 

Grief is tough to shoulder alone. But sometimes joy can be just as tough. Being alone, no matter what the reason, eliminates the opportunity to turn and yell as Tom Hanks did in Castaway, "I have made fire!" Being tired can make you feel like giving up. It would be so much easier to give in to your emotions. To give in to sin. Which is why Christ told the disciples to stay and pray that they would not fall into temptation. 

Fall into temptation. Isn't that an interesting twist of words? Why didn't he say "give in to temptation?" I believe it means that some temptation sneaks up on us. I imagine a pit hidden along the jungle trail. We don't see it and we fall into it because we let our guard down. How did we not see that temptation? Perhaps it is because we were tired. How do we keep from falling into temptation? By following the instruction of Christ. Pray. 

Is this what I do every time? How do I personally keep from falling into temptations? I don't. I fall. Not every time. But occasionally I still fall. Sometimes I fall heavily. But I serve a God that forgives and forgets. I sure wish I could do that as easily as He does. 

Perhaps I need a nap. 

No comments: